Once upon a time there was a man who liked hunting very much. He often went to the forest to hunt any animal he met.
One day he went hunting into the forest. He intended to shoot any animal he saw. He brought his gun with him. When he was searching for his pre, suddenly he saw a bird perching on a branch of a tree. It was a dove. When he was aiming his gun at the dove, suddenly an ant came and bit his foot. He was so startled that he didn’t shoot the dove. It was safe and then flew away.
Several days later, the dove was flying over a lake. He saw an ant floating on the surface of the water. It was the ant that had saved the dove’s life from the hunter. The ant was almost drowned. The dove got an idea, he picked up a big leaf and dropped it onto the surface of the water near the ant. Luckily the ant could get on the leaf.
The ant tried to bring the leaf to the edge of the lake and landed on the ground. The ant was safe because the dove helped him.
1. The type of the text is…
a. Argumentative text d. Exposition text
b. Descriptive text e. Recount text
d. Narrative text
2. The hunter was very … when the ant bit his foot.
a. Angry c. Shocked
b. Furious d. Surprised
3. Which one of the following sentences INCORRECT or IRRELEVANT with the text above?
a. The man hunted some animal that he met in the forest
b. The hunter saw a dove on the branch of tree
c. The man didn’t shoot the dove because of a policeman
d. The dove helped the ant that on the surface of water
e. The dove ant was safe because of the dove
4. One day he went hunting into the forest (2nd paragraph)
The synonym of underlined word (forest) is…
a. Animal b. Jungle c. Lake d. River e. Sea
5. The purpose of the text above is to…
a. tell the readers of the story
b. to explain the readers of the story
c. to entertain the readers of the story
d. to inform the readers of the story
e. to retell the readers of the story
(1) Several days later, the dove was flying over a lake. (2) He saw an ant floating on the surface of the water. (3) It was the ant that had saved the dove’s life from the hunter. (4) The ant was almost drowned. (5) The dove got an idea, he picked up a big leaf and dropped it onto the surface of the water near the ant. Luckily the ant could get on the leaf (paragraph 1).
6. Passive Sentence (PASSIVE FORM) of the sentence above is number…
a. 1 b. 2 c. 3 d. 4 e. 5
King Rama, his wife Shinta and his brother Laksmana were in the forest. Suddenly, there was a beautiful deer. Queen Shinta wanted to have the deer. So she said to her husband, “Please catch deer for me.” So Rama and laksmana ran after the deer.
King Rahwana was flying over the forest. He saw Shita and wanted to have her. So, he flew down and asked Shita to go with him. Of course, Shinta did not want to go then he took by force, put her on his back. And flew away to his home in Alengka.
When King Rama and Laksmana came back with deer, they found that Shinta had gone. A speaking bird told that Rahwana had abducted her. Rama and Laksmana were sad and very angry. So they went to Alengka to take Shita back from Rahwamna.
7. Which one of the following sentences are NOT TRUE according to the text?
a. Shita were in the forest when Rahwana abducted her
b. Shita wanted to catch the deer
c. Shita was taken by force
d. Ranma went to Alengka with Laksmana
e. A bird informed Rama where Shita went
8. Who is the main character of that story?
a. Rahwana d. A deer
b. Shita e. A bird
9. Rama and Laksmana were sad and very angry. So they went to Alengka to take Shita back from Rahwamna (last paragraph).
The antonym of the underlined word (sad) is…
a. Angry c. Happy e. Bored
b. Disappointed d. Like
10. What kind of the sentences is using mostly used in the text above?
a. The Passive voice
b. The Simple Past Tense
c. The Past Perfect Tense
d. The Simple Present Tense
e. The Present Perfect Tense
In this century Indonesia has adopted a new economic system. It is understandable that the government always anticipated what may happen in 2010. So steps are being taken to make the new economic system beneficial to the government and the people.
Few years ago a subsidy was given by the government to the industries or state-owned corporation that needed financial help. It is expected that the corporation will try to survive although they should not try to speculate. They will be in difficulty.
With the end of the World War, economic issues have replaced ideological and political questions as the major determinants of global politics. Here Indonesia is able to share some of its experience in carrying out economic development and in managing dependence on the West.
Adopting free trade and free market is unavoidable because of the global economy; a nation can not trade with some nations in the neighboring countries only. A trade is not confined to a certain area. The reasons are the differences in natural resources in different parts are the growth of transportation and communication.
11. What is the suitable title of the text?
a. A new economic system d. Free trade and market
b. The global trade and market e. Economic issues
c. The global economy
12. Why does the government always anticipate what may happen in 2010?
a. To make new economic system
b. To make beneficial to the government
c. To make beneficial to people
d. To take steps
e. To take beneficial steps
13. Few years ago a subsidy was given by the government to the industries or state-owned corporation that needed financial help. It is expected that the corporation will try to survive although they should not try to speculate. They will be in difficulty.
What does the word they in the paragraph refers to?
a. The governments
b. Economic systems
c. Industries or companies
e. Economic issues
14. What is the main idea of paragraph 1?
a. The differences in natural resources in the world
b. Specialization in making goods that are good quality
c. Every country must enter the global economy
d. Adopting free trade and marker
e. A nation can trade with the neighboring and other countries
15. In this century Indonesia has adopted a new economic system (pr. 1)
The underlined word (century) means…
a. 10 years
b. 25 years
c. 50 years
d. 100 years
e. 1000 years
Four Men entered a mosque and each busied himself in Sholah, humbly prostrating before Allah. Each one said the “Allahu Akhbar” after first having made his intention, and began to pray with humility. Meanwhile the Mu’adhdhin came in and gave the call to SALAH.
The first man blurted out to the Mu’adhdhin, “Are you calling to the prayer? Are you sure it is the right time?”
The second spoke on the spur of the moment, “You have wasted your SALAH by speaking during prayers!”
The third retorted, “Why did YOU speak? Tell your OWN self how to behave!”
The fourth mumbled, “Praise be to Allah! I wasn’t a party to their arguments.”
Thus all the four broke their Sholah and wasted it. The fault-finders went more astray than the one who made the original mistake. Remember! Correct yourself before correcting others.
16. What did the four men do when they entered the mosque?
a. They slept in the mosque
b. They prayed in humanity
c. They spoke one each others
d. They called for SHOLAH (ADZAN)
e. They wanted to meet with the Muadhdhin
17. Why all the four men broke their SHOLAH?
a. They spoke during SHOLAH
b. They slept during SHOLAH
c. They Sholah before taking the holy water (WUDLU)
d. Muadhdhin disturbed them
e. They Sholah before the right time
18. What is the text above mainly tell us about?
a. Mu’adhdhin who called of prayers
b. Four men and their Sholah
c. Four men who never Sholah
d. Four men who hid in the mosque
e. Mu’adhdhin in his Sholah
19. People who works in the field/farm is called…
a. Sailor c. Farmer d. Army
b. Driver d. Police
20. In the internet you can see a monitor. The popular word for a monitor is ……..
a. a Television
b. a Display
c. a Station
d. a Screen
e. a Recorder
21. Nadi : Can you help me typing my English Task ?
Rudy : Sorry, I am not able to type it using computer.
From the dialogue above we can conclude that …
a. Nadi will help Rudi
b. Rudi has ability to type using computer
c. Rudi is very disappointed
d. Rudy does not have capability of typing using computer
e. Nadi is pleasure to ask Rudy
22. The following sentences are PASSIVE FORM, except…
a. A dog is killed by the boy
b. Budi buys some books
c. A letter was sent by Erna yesterday
d. Some books are bought by my mother in the market
e. Putri is liked by all people
23. Eka : I heard that you will join an English Speech contest in Sukabumi.
Gea : O yes, I will go to Sukabumi to join the contest next week.
Eka : I have no doubt on your capability in answering those questions.
Gea : Thank for your support.
The underlined sentence expresses…
a. Warning c. Command e. Encouragement
b. Sympathy d. Request
24. I heard that you will join an English Speech contest in Sukabumi
The underlined word (heard) means…
a. Knew c. Saw e. Watched
b. Listened d. Said
25. The following sentences are used for refusal request, except…
c. No, I won’t
d. I’m afraid not
e. Not likely
26. Faiz bought TV set last week.
The Passive Form of the sentence above is…
a. A TV set is bought by Faiz last week
b. A TV set was bought by Faiz last week
c. Faiz is bought TV set last week
d. Faiz was bought TW set last week
e. A TV set has been bought by Faiz last week
27. A : What do you think of this hotel service?
B : ……………………………………………(expressions of complaint)
a. Thank you for the best service
b. I’m happy with this hotel service
c. I’m not at all satisfied with this hotel service
d. I’ll be back again anytime
e. It is very satisfied service in this hotel
28. Neneng : I’m sorry sir, I come late!
Teacher : No problem, Come in please!
From the simple dialogue above, the teacher expresses…
a. Command d. Encouragement
b. Complaint e. Prohibition
29. Which of the following sentences belong to Prohibition expression?
a. Sorry, I’, forget d. Watch Out!
b. Stand up please! e. Be careful
c. Don’t be lazy!
30. To understand the significance of Lebaran, an understanding about the fasting month of Ramadhan is important.
The underlined word has the same meaning (synonym) with…
a. Need c. Difference e. Famous
b. Importance d. Similar
Albert Einstein was born in Ulm, Germany on 14th of March 1879. Five years later, he and his family moved to Munich because of his father’s new job. In 1901 he was being naturalized as a Swiss citizen. Eight years later as a Swiss, Einstein became professor of theoretical physics at the University of Zurich. From 1911 to 1912 he had the same job as a professor in Prague. In 1913 he was chosen to join the Academy of Science in Berlin. Einstein received his German nationality back in 1914. He worked for 19 years as professor in Berlin. He was able to be a special professor in Leiden, Holland, from 1920 to 1946 officially also, but because of his emigration, he didn’t work for the university for a long time before 1946. Because of the NAZI’s, Einstein renounced the German citizenship in 1933. He moved to the United States and worked as a professor in Princeton, New Jersey until 1945. He officially became American in 1941. Albert Einstein died on the 18th of April 1955.
31. When (in what year) Einstein moved to Munich?
a. 1879 b. 1882 c. 1884 d. 1901 e. 1911
32. Einstein is a scientist in a field of…
a. Mathematics c. Language e. Astronomy
b. Physics d. Chemistry
33. How long Einstein became a professor in Prague?
a. 1 year b. 2 years c. 3 years d. 4 years e.5 years
34. The following sentences are suitable/relevant with the text above, except…
a. Einstein was born in German
b. In 1884 he moved to Munich
c. Einstein also was a professor in Leiden
d Einstein didn’t receive his German nationality
e Einstein died in 1955 in America
35. My father buys new shoes……..colors is black and white
a. Who b. Whose c. Whom d. Which e. Where
36. – My brother has a beautiful girlfriend
– He met her last year
a. My brother has a beautiful girl who he met last year
b. My brother has a beautiful girl whom he met last year
c. My brother has a beautiful girl whose he met last year
d. My brother has a beautiful girl which he met last year
e. My brother has a beautiful girl whose met last year
37. The color of Elementary students’ uniform is…
a. White and blue
b. White and green
c. White and grey
d. White and red
e. White and black
38. “NO SMOKING HERE”
The sentence above expresses….
39. Seventy seven plus twenty three, minus fifty equal…
a. Twenty five d. Eighty five
b. Fifty e. Zero (null)
40. The capital city of East Java province is…
One day Nasreddin borrowed a pot from his neighbour Ali. The next day he brought it back with another little pot inside. “That’s not mine,” said Ali. “Yes, it is,” said Nasreddin. “While your pot was staying with me, it had a baby.”
Some time later Nasreddin asked Ali to lend him a pot again. Ali agreed, hoping that he would once again receive two pots in return. However, days passed and Nasreddin had still not returned the pot. Finally Ali lost patience and went to demand his property. “I am sorry,” said Nasreddin. “I can’t give you back your pot, since it has died.” “Died!” screamed Ali, “how can a pot die?” “Well,” said Nasreddin, “you believed me when I told you that your pot had had a baby.”
(Story courtesy of John and Muriel Higgins)
1. Who is the main character in the story?
2. How many times did Nasreddin borrow the pot?
3. Why was Ali happy to lend his pot for a second time?
4. Combine the following sentences into one sentence using RELATIVE PRONOUN!
– I agree with National Exam.
– Questions are designed by teacher
5. Complete the following boxes with the suitable pronoun!
PRONOUN POSSESIVE PRONOUN
I …………. ………..
………. HER ………..
THEY ………… THEIR
……… US ……….